2008-03-30

Bookshelves Made of Glass

There is a great, fun article in the newspaper today that talks about dating and books. I recently had the comment that “I am surprised by the lack of books you have on your shelf.” To be sure, I don’t have any Pushkin’s or Dostoyevsky’s on my shelf. I have also had chills when I looked at online profiles and seen “Eat, Pray, Love” as the “best book ever!”

Years ago, I had someone close to me that worked at Barnes and Noble. She would constantly bring home books, not to mention, I would spend a lot of time in the store reading books. In one of my many moves, I packed up so many boxes of books, that it was ridiculous. Then my dutch Uncle Bob told me that he reduced his inventory to keep only books that really affected him. His advice: let the library keep all the rest for you. I decided to do the same. I tossed hundreds of books.

Instead, on my shelf you will find Sedaris’ (I enjoyed seeing my friend heave with laughter as we flew to Istanbul and some very serious women in veils looked on) and Sartre. Actually, I keep the Sartre’s to impress ladies..

No comments: