2010-12-15

Drie Fietsen (Three Bikes)

Columbia, MD, U.S.A.

In a mad-frenzy, before heading to the United States, I bought three bikes. This is below average for the Netherlands because most families have four bikes. I chose the type of bike I should buy the same way I make every important decision, I took a poll (Exhibit A) on this blog. A clear majority (53%) voted that I should buy an omafiets. In total, I bought three.
Exhibit A - Bike Poll Survey of 13 readers, 12/2010

All three of the bikes have a "ladies" step through type frame. It's also called "omafiets" or "opafiets" (literally "granny bike" or "grandpa' bike") here. Despite not being a lady or a grandpa, I was assured that my masculinity would remain intact if I rode one, as they are unisex. Interestingly, although they typically have three speeds, but they don't have a derailer like you would find on a normal ten speed or mountain bike. Plus, the cogs, sprockets, and chain are all sealed in a housing. That's pretty sweet.
Exhibit B - Maggie's new (used) omafiets

Bikes and biking culture in the Netherlands are fascinating to me. I am sure you could write books, people probably have, about all of the different customs and rides. My goal is for Maggie and I to be able to ride bikes, shoulder to shoulder and holding hands, as many couples I have seen by the time we leave. I have also seen parents riding a bike with there hand on the back of a child, helping them along (awwwwhhhh!) on their own bike. You know you are truly Dutch when you can drag a roller-board suitcase behind you whilst riding. Of course, people talk on the phone and hold their umbrellas, but that stuff is amateur.

A few quick takeaways about Dutch biking:

  • Bikes have two locks: one chain, one circular. You have to lock both. (BTW - I am going to bring the circular locks back to the States and make a fortune promoting, reselling, and installing them if you want to join me)
  • Don't wear a helmet: I am going to try to bring back my helmet after Christmas, but I guarantee you that the local news will do an action news report titled "Strange American Covers Head with Helmet While Riding Bike. We'll ask: why?"
  • Always go perpendicular to tram tracks: The tram track is exactly the same size as a bike tire. This is harder to master than you would think. Tram tracks are everywhere. I have talked to a number of people who have wrecked this way. Amazingly, no one I know has been run over by the tram.
  • Do not put a rubberband on your pants leg: Besides being a total nerd there would be no need. Most of the bikes have a plastic housing around the bike chain so go ahead and wear your best wool pants sans dorky reflective velcro strap.
Now that I have three bikes, when you come visit you will be able to use one. I hope to see you soon.

No comments: