2011-04-13

Travel: Behind the Scenes with Rick Steves on Italian Dining

Italian Restaurant Food vs. American Restaurant Food

The Hague, The Netherlands




Those of you who have traveled with me know that I travel like a 57 year old woman: 3 star hotels, early dinners, and Rick Steves' travel books. Mix in our trip to Rome and I was very interested when I saw this recent article in the Seattle Times where RS talks about his experience with Italian restaurateurs and their take on American food.

Not surprisingly and somewhat deservedly, there is a lot of criticism of portion sizes and huge dollops of overly sweet bbq sauces and salad dressings. I find this criticism mostlly unfounded and I won't bother going into the undercooked pasta dinner we had in Italy at Rick's say-so (trust me, not al dente). Interestingly, he gives a glimpse of how he reviews restaurants. That is something I always wonder given travel writers must have short deadlines and limited time in each neighborhood or city.

Let me know your favorite travel guide writers/publishers or the best place to get travel tips.

No comments: