2010-02-06

Book Review: The E-Myth Enterprise: How to Turn A Great Idea Into a Thriving Business; Michael Gerber

The E-Myth Enterprise: How to Turn A Great Idea Into a Thriving Business


I borrowed this from the libary because it was recommended by the author of another book I read. Actually, it recommended a different "E-Myth" book and I mistakenly checked this one out of the library.

It was an easy read but not very prescriptive. This was the first book in the "E-Myth" series that I have read.

My takeaways:
  • Business is a creative action
  • Successful business solve customer problems (Duh!)
  • The best companies are process driven not people driven. That was counter-intutive when I first read it, but I have seen this in a number of the places I have worked and I really agree with it. Some employers (managers) blame the person and wrongly believe if only they had a different person, the outcome would be different. Process driven companies believe that they can perfect the process, even with imperfect people employing it. Now, I am not saying that people should not be dismissed, but I do believe that we should all aspire to delivering a process that ensures success and constantly refine and reinvent that process.
  • There is a great anecdote about a guy who started a business in Arizona called "Three Day Kitchens". The description was really fun and I think it is something everyone who has owned a home and contracted out work can sympathize with.
I recommend you check it out if you would like a quick read with some fun business anecdotes. It is relevant to entrepeneurs and employees and I hope to check out another one of the E-myth books soon.

No comments: